National League

Round 1 Details of LIDL Ladies National Football League 2019

Lidl Ladies National Football League 2019


2nd February


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 1 - Round 1                     

Dublin (H) v Donegal, 5.00pm, Pairc an Chrócaigh, (N McCormack, Laois)

Cork (H) v Galway, 1.00pm, Mallow, (J Murphy, Carlow) 


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 2 – Round 1

Waterford (H) v Wexford, 2.00pm, Waterford IT, (K Phelan, Laois)


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 3 – Round 1

Sligo (H) v Meath, 2.00pm, Cloonacool Community Park, (G Carmody, Roscommon)

Longford (H) v Kildare, 2.00pm, Mostrim, Edgeworthstown

Roscommon (H) v Wicklow, 2.00pm, Kiltoom, (G McMahon, Mayo)


3rd February


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 1 - Round 1 

Mayo (H) v Tipperary, 2.00pm, Swinford Amenity Park, (G Chapman, Sligo) 

Westmeath (H)           v Monaghan, 2.00pm, St Loman’s, Mullingar, (K Corcoran, Mayo)


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 2 – Round 1

Clare (H) v Kerry, 2.00pm, Doonbeg, (S Curley, Galway)  

Laois (H) v Armagh, 2.00pm, Emo, (D McEnery, Westmeath)

Cavan (H) v Tyrone, 12.30pm, Terry Coyle, (P Burke, Louth) 


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 3 – Round 1

Offaly (H) v Down, 2.00pm, St Brendans Park, Birr


Lidl Ladies National Football League - Division 4 – Round 1

Carlow (H) v Kilkenny, 2.30pm, IT Carlow, (L O’Sullivan, Dublin) 

Limerick (H) v Louth, 2.00pm, (B Redmond, Wexford) 

Antrim (H) v Leitrim, 1.00pm, Queens, Malone Road, Belfast, (S McLoughlin, Donegal)  

Fermanagh (H) v Derry, 2.00pm, Derrygonnelly, (S Coyle, Donegal)

Waterford Intermediate Ladies Qualify For League Final

Waterford Intermediate ladies ensure that teams from the Deise would contest league finals on three fronts in May by virtue of a storming second half performance against Roscommon in Nenagh onSunday last. Michelle Ryan opened the scoring for Waterford after three minutes but this score was quickly cancelled out by a pointed free from Jenny Downey in the fifth minute. Downey put the Roscommon girls ahead with another point on eight minutes before Aileen Wall equalised two minutes later. In the 11th minute Maria Delahunty kicked the first of her three points and Aileen Wall doubled the lead with another point on 13 minutes to leave it Waterford 0-4 Roscommon 0-2. Caoilann Beirne and Jenny Downey from a free levelled matters after 22 minutes but Waterford were to forge ahead with a point from Sinead Ryan and a goal in the last minute of the first half to leave Waterford ahead at half time on the score line Waterford 1-5 Roscommon 0-4.

Roscommon opened the second half with two points from Downey before Michelle Ryan kicked two wonderful points to keep Waterford four in front. Jenny Downey kicked another point for Roscommon in the 6th minute to narrow the gap but this was quickly replied to by Maria Delahunty with two points in the 10th and 12th minutes. Aileen Wall who had a fine game for Waterford got her second point in the 12th minute and Sinead Ryan kicked yet another point a minute later. The game was virtually over as a contest one minute later when Michelle Ryan got on to a long through ball to make no mistake and finish it to the net to leave it 2-11 to 0-7. Substitute Hannah Landers got Waterford’s third goal two minutes later. Jenny Downey replied with a point for a demoralised Roscommon team to narrow the wide gap slightly but the Waterford forwards pressed on and Aileen Wall and Michelle Ryan kicked two points in the 19th and 20th minutes respectively. Rachel Ryan got a point back for Roscommon but this was negated almost immediately by a wonderful point from Aileen Wall. Substitute Mary Foley made an immediate impact when introduced and scored what many considered to be a contender for goal of the season in the 23rd minute. Another sub Louise Ryan put the icing on the cake in the 27th minute with appoint to leave Waterford convincing winners on the score line Waterford 4-14 Roscommon 0-9

Manager Pat Sullivan was well pleased with the performance of the team and was happy with the fitness of the girls and their application in the second half but is well aware of the enormity of the task ahead in two weeks time when Waterford face Sligo in the Tesco Homegrown Division 3 league final in Parnell Park in Dublin.

Waterford lined out as follows: Katie Hannon, Megan Dunford, Karen Mc Grath, Linda Wall(capt),Michelle Mc Grath, Elaine Power, Emma Murray, Nicola Fennell, Mairead Wall, Grainne Kenneally,Maria Delahunty(0-3), Aileen Wall(0-5), Aoife Murray, Sinead Ryan(1-2), Michelle Ryan(1-4).

Subs introduced: Hannah Landers (1-0), Shauna Dunphy, Louise Ryan (0-1), Mary Foley (1-0) and Margaret Revins.

Waterford U16 Ladies Narrowly Beat Clare

Waterford under 16 ladies kept their Munster championship hopes alive with a hard earned but well deserved win over Clare in St Ailbhe’s Park in Emly on Saturday last. In a low scoring encounter in which both defences were on top, the Deise girls came away with a two point victory on the scoreline of Waterford 1-7 to Clare’s 1-5.

Katie Duggan Sullivan opened the scoring for Waterford with a point but Clare replied with one of their own from Sarah Mc Gann and went into the lead when Emma Mc Mahon goaled for the Banner County side. Waterford pulled themselves back into the match with three points in a row, two frees from Kaiesha Tobin and one from Abi Dunphy before Katie Duggan Sullivan struck for an all important goal just before half time. The second half was a ding dong affair with points from Abi Dunphy and Kaiesha Tobin keeping Waterford’s noses just in front and it was fitting that captain Chloe Fennell, fresh from her exploits at Superschools, scored Waterford’s third point to ensure that Waterford stayed ahead and so qualify for a Munster B final against Tipperary on May 10th

Limerick Set Up League Final Spot, When Overcoming Louth: Limerick 2-14 Louth 3-7

Limerick travelled to the Crettyyard in Laois last Sunday to take on Louth in the TESCO Homegrown National League Semi Final. This was an evenly contested semi-final, with both sides serving up a thrilling game. Playing against the wind Louth girls got into an early stride with a quick break out of defence to score a cracking goal. This really set up a tough battle with points being exchanged inside the first ten minutes. As the first half went on both teams were matching each other all over the pitch. A cracking goal from Dymphna O’Brien helped the Limerick girls to settle. Points from Megan Kelleher and O’Brien again helped them to get their heads in front. Further points from Stephanie Carroll, Megan Kelleher and a Niamh Richardson Goal had Limerick ahead at half time by four points. The second half saw a resolute Limerick gain an early advantage with two super pointed frees from Dymphna O’Brien. At this stage the defence upped their game and when impressive substitute Shauna Ryan kicked a great point with a further couple from Bridgid Cahill it had a comfortable look about it for the Treaty girls. However, Louth had different ideas and took over for the final ten minutes putting in a storming finish with a goal and 2 points. This was a never say die display from Louth. When the final whistle came, it was the gritty performance from Limerick that helped them book their place in the league final when they take on Offaly on the 2 May, Venue and Time TBC. This was a game full of honesty and congratulations to both teams for serving up an excellent match.

Limerick Panel in Full: Yvette Culhane (Mungret/St Pauls), Martina Giltenane ( Mungret/St Pauls), Alva Neary (Old Mill), Kristine Reidy (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Loretta Hanley (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Sandra O’Connor (Feohanagh/Castlemahon), Claire Coughlan (Mungret/St Pauls), Caroline Hickey (St Ailbes), Janet Garvey (Captain) (Fr. Caseys/Monagea), Olivia Giltenane (Mungret/St Pauls), Megan Kelleher (Knockainey), Mai Kennelly (Old Mill), Niamh Richardson (Murroe/Boher), Lisa Harnett (Fr. Caseys/Monagae), Chloe O’Connell (Oola), Siobhan Moloney (Oola), Bridget Cahill (Monagea), Dymphna O’Brien (Gerald Griffins), Sarah O’Sullivan (St Brigids), Katie Fitzgerald (Gerald Griffins), Aoife Meaney (Murroe/Boher), Stephanie Carroll (St Ailbes), Clodagh Kirby (Knockainey), Marie Curtin (Mungret/St Pauls), Orla O’Donoghue (St Brigids), Janet O’Carroll (Mungret/St Pauls), Emma Maguire (St Ailbes), Shauna Ryan (Murroe/Boher), Grainne Regan (Murroe/Boher), Megan O’Meara (Murroe/Boher), Aisling Regan (Murroe/Boher) and Maeve Higgins (St Patrick’s). Manager: Eddie Murphy. Coaches: Conor Buckley, JP Aherne, Donal Ryan. Team Liaison Officer: Mary Manning. Team Medic: John Holland.

Munster U16 Championship - Tipperary 3-12 Clare 3-9

The Tipperary Under 16 team began their Munster Championship campaign away to Clare in Coolmeen on Sunday, April 12th. When these two sides met at Under 14 level two years ago there was very little between them and Tipperary were expecting another tough encounter in the mid Clare venue this year. Conditions were cool and blustery and Clare elected to play with the wind in the first half. However, it was Tipperary who opened the scoring with a great goal from Kate Davey which was followed by a point from Lara O’Dwyer. Clare responded with a goal and a point to leave the scores level. Clare were then awarded a penalty which they duly scored. This penalty proved to be the start of a purple patch for Clare who scored 1-6 without reply in a seven minute spell to leave the score Clare 2-7 Tipperary 1-1. At this point, Clare were dominating but great leadership was shown by the full forward line trio of Kate Davey, Lara O’Dwyer and Jean Kelly who scored four points between them in the ten minutes before half time. This trio caused Clare endless problems all throughout the game and these scores came at a vital stage in the game as they kept Tipperary within touching distance of the Banner girls. At half time the score was Clare 2-7 Tipperary 1-5.

Tipperary regrouped during the interval and started strongly in the second half. The influential Kate Davey began the half by scoring a point. This score was followed by further points from both Aine O’Dwyer and Lara O’Dwyer and a brace of points from Jean Kelly. Clare replied with two points leaving the score Clare 2-9 Tipperary 1-10 with fifteen minutes remaining. At this stage the result seemed to be in the balance. However, Tipperary hit their own purple patch in the final quarter, scoring 2-2 without reply. Kate Davey hit the back of the net for the second time, Jean Kelly scored her fourth point of the game with substitute Kirsty Crotty Ryan also scoring a point and Orla Burke making her way up from wing back to score a goal with three minutes of normal time remaining. This goal seemed to have secured the result for Tipperary with six points now between the sides. Tipperary then had a player sin binned entering into injury time. This seemed to give Clare renewed hope and they scored a goal to leave one score between the sides with time running out. Clare had two further goal scoring attacks in additional time but the tireless work of mid-fielder Kate Barlow and the Tipperary defence and in particular the ever dependable Laura Morrissey at full back made sure that Clare would be unable to salvage a draw. Tipperary now look forward to the next round where they will play Limerick on Sunday, April 19th in Bruff.

Tipperary Team: Saoirse Fanning (Galtee Rovers); Emma Cronin (Moyle Rovers), Laura Morrissey (Brian Borus), Sarah D elaney (Boherlahan), Orla Burke (Moyle Rovers), Molly O’Meara (Fethard), Ciara Hayes (Fethard), Anna Carey (Clonmel Commercials), Kate Barlow (Clonmel Commercials), Clodagh Irwin (Thurles Sarsfields), Aine O’Dwyer (Boherlahan), Kailee Burke (Cahir), Kate Davey (Fethard), Lara O’Dwyer (Lattin Cullen), Jean Kelly (Cappawhite)
Subs Used: Anna Rose Kennedy (Aherlow) for Anna Carey, Kirsty Crotty Ryan (Moyle Rovers) for Kailee Burke, Christina Brennan (Templemore) for Aine O’Dwyer, Sarah Corby (Arravale Rovers) for Clodagh Irwin.
Tipperary Scorers:Kate Davey 2-3 (one free), Jean Kelly 0-4, Lara O’Dwyer 0-3, Orla Burke 1-0, Aine O’Dwyer 0-1, Kirsty Crotty Ryan 0-1

By Secretary,

Siobhan Condon

Waterford Intermediate Ladies Continue Unbeaten Run

Waterford intermediate ladies football team made it four wins out of four matches when they defeated Tipperary in Ardfinnan in the Tesco Home Grown Division 3 National League on Sunday last. Lining out with nine changes in personnel from their last victory against Fermanagh, Waterford were under sustained Tipperary pressure from the start. Star performer on the day Gillian O Brien gave Tipperary the lead on 5 minutes but the Deise girls quickly equalised with a free from Sinead Ryan before Shauna Dunphy kicked a great point to leave the Deise a point ahead. Playing on her home pitch Laura Dillon gave Tipperary the lead once again with a well taken goal in the 14th minute. Maria Delahunty kicked a free in the 18thminute and then added a point from play in the 19th to leave it Tipperary 1-2 Waterford 0-4.Aoife Ryan from Cappawhite got Tipp’s second goal in the 21st minute but Dungarvan club mates Lauren Mc Gregor and Ciara Hurley raised white flags for the Deise while Gillian O Brien added a well taken point to leave the half time score Tipperary 2-4 Waterford 0-6.

Tipperary started the second half in whirlwind fashion with a goal from Aoife Ryan but this was quickly cancelled out as from the kickout a passing movement the length of the field resulted in Lauren Mc Gregor giving the Tipperary goalie no chance for Waterford’s first goal. Maria Delahunty pointed a free in the 4th minute but this was quickly answered by a Tipperary point one minute later. This was to prove to be Tipperary’s last score of the match and the Waterford forwards took over Aileen Wall pointed in the 6th minute to leave three between the teams. Maria Delahunty narrowed the gap with her fourth point of the game. Ciara Hurley struck again in the 13th minute and it was all square in the 19th minute when Sinead Ryan struck with a great point to leave it Waterford 1-11 Tipperary 3-5.Michelle Ryan who came on as a sub for Lauren Mc Gregor put Waterford in front with a goal and another sub Dede Fahey completed the scoring with a point in the 52th minute. The game petered out from this to the finish but the Deise girls were well in control and picked up another three league points to sit on top of the table with Leitrim. Final Score Waterford 2-12 Tipperary 3-5

Manager Pat Sullivan was very pleased with the manner of the win and was delighted with the performances of all the players. The only down point from a Waterford perspective was that goalie Clodagh Walsh suffered a serious injury making a great save and all involved in Waterford Ladies Football wish her a speedy recovery. Waterford now move forward to a home tie with Roscommon in two weeks time Sunday 15th March.

Waterford Lined Out As Follows: Clodagh Walsh, Mary Foley, Karen Mc Grath, Kate Mc Grath, Michelle Mc Grath, Elaine Power, Emer Scanlon, Mary Kate Morrissey, Nicola Fennell, Ciara Hurley(0-2), Maria Delahunty (0-4,) Aileen Wall(0-1),Lauren Mc Gregor(1-1), Sinéad Ryan(0-2) Shauna Dunphy(0-1)
Subs Used: Linda Wall, Mairead Wall, Michelle Ryan (1-0), Aoife Murray, Dede Fahey (0-1), Katie Hannon

Waterford U14s Edge Out Tipperary In A Thriller

Waterford opened the defence of their Munster title in Bansha on Saturday last with a hard fought four point victory over an excellent Tipperary team. Facing a strong wind in the first half Waterford quickly found themselves four points down before Dungarvan’s Sarah Lacey opened the Deise account in the 14thminute. Midfielder Kelly Anne Hogan kicked two good points to narrow the gap before Keeley Corbett Barry got a vital goal to put the Deise team ahead at half time by a point on the scoreline Waterford 1-4 Tipperary 0-6.The Deise girls were caught napping early in the second half when Tipperary’s top forward Angela Mc Guckian raised two green flags for the Premier county. Waterford quickly hit back with two points from Stradbally’s Sheena Mc Guckian to level matters in the 6th minutes. It was nip and tuck all the way after this Sheena Mc Guckian netted a goal and got two wonderful points to put the Deise back in front but no to be outdone Angela Mc Guckian got her third goal and the Premier county had their noses in front again with six minutes to go. Waterford rallied and Sarah Lacey kicked the equaliser before super sub Maeve Daly crashed the ball to the Tipp net with time running out, Tipperary tried in vain in the closing minutes to get the equaliser but Waterford held firm and Annie Fitzgerald kicked Waterford’s final point deep into injury time to leave the final score Waterford 3-11 Tipperary 3-7.This was a good win for the girls against a strong Tipperary team who will have a big say in the championship. Waterford move forward with a clash with Clare on the 14th March.

Waterford Lined Out As Follows: Megan Foran, Emma Flynn, Mary Kate Curran, Carly Dunford, Aoife Kennedy, Rosie Landers, Roisin Dunphy; Kelly Anne Hogan, Clodagh Carroll, Keeley Corbett Barry, Annie Fitzgerald, Emily O’Mahoney, Sarah Lacey, Sheena McGuckian, Saoirse Moyaheen
Scorers: Sheena McGluckian 1-5, Maeve Daly 1-0, Keeley Corbett Barry 1-0, Sarah Lacey 0-3, Kelly Anne Hogan 0-2, Annie Fitzgerald 0-1

Report Tipperary v Waterford NL in Ardfinnan

Tipperary Ladies Football hosted their second home game in the Tesco Homegrown National Football League on Sunday last in Ardfinnan and their opponents were Waterford. Tipperary played with the aid of the breeze in the first half and Gillian O’Brien, Tipperary was the first to take advantage of it with a point in the fifth minute. Waterford equalised in the tenth minute with a point from Sinead Ryan and took the lead in the following minute with a point from Shauna Dunphy. Laura Dillon, scored a goal for Tipperary before Gillian O’Brien added another point. Maria Delahunty, Waterford reduced the margin with two quick points before Gillian O’Brien added another point. The margin was increased to five points with an Aoife Ryan goal for Tipperary. Lauren McGregor, Waterford added a further point before Gillian O’Brien, Tipperary and Ciara Hurley, Waterford traded points leaving the half-time score Tipperary 2-4 Waterford 0-6

The teams re-emerged in the second half and Aoife Ryan scored her second goal in the first minute to stretch Tipperary’s advantage to seven points. Waterford’s Lauren McGregor replied straight away with a goal. Tipperary’s Aisling McCarthy and Maria Delahunty traded points however, the four point margin remained. But as the game entered the final quarter, Waterford points from Aileen Wall, Maria Delahunty and Ciara Hurley had reduced the margin to one point. Tipperary goalie Lauren Fitzpatrick and the backs were defending resolutely throughout the game but were now under incessant pressure as wind assisted Waterford piled on the pressure. This pressure eventually resulted in Waterford’s Sinead Ryan scoring the equalising point in the fifty first minute followed a minute later by a goal by Waterford substitute Michelle Ryan. Dede Fahy, another substitute added a further point to Waterford’s score line. Within minutes the final whistle declared victory for Waterford, Waterford 2-12 Tipperary 3-5. Tipperary will now travel to Fermanagh next weekend, check for fixture details when available.

Tipperary Team: Lauren Fitzpatrick (Ardfinnan), Treasa McGrath (Ballymacarbry), Maria Curley (Templemore), Elaine Kelly (Cappawhite); Roisin McGrath (Moyle Rovers), Louise Cadell (Templemore), Lorraine O'Shea (Mullinahone); Bernie Ryan (Cappawhite), Breda Feeney (Fermoy); Laura Dillon (Ardfinnan), Gillian O'Brien (Moyle Rovers), Aisling McCarthy (Cahir), Shauna Ryan (Ballymacabry), Aoife Ryan (Cappawhite), Sarah Everard (Moyle Rovers).
Scorers: Aoife Ryan 2-0, Gillian O'Brien 0-4, Laura Dillon 1-0, Aisling McCarthy 0-1
Subs: Sarah Ryan (Clonmel Commercials) for Sarah Everard; Elaine Butler (Moyle Rovers) for Aoife Ryan; Emma Buckley (Cahir) for Trease McGrath.

Waterford Panel: Clodagh Walsh; Mary Foley, Karen McGrath, Nora Dunphy; Michelle McGrath, Elaine Power, Emer Scanlan, Mary Kate Morrissey, Nicola Fennell; Ciara Hurley (0-2), Maria Delahunty (0-4), Aileen Wall (0-1), Eimear Fennell, Sinead Ryan (0-2), Shauna Dunphy (0-1), Katie Hannon, Lauren McGregor (1-1), Margaret Revins, Michelle Ryan (1-0), Linda Wall, Mairead Wall, Kate McGrath, Dede Fahy (0-1), Aoife Dunne, Emma Murray, Aoife Murray, Liz Devine, Caoimhe McGrath, Louise Ryan, Aoife Landers, Hannah Landers, Mairead Power, Megan Dunford, Grainne Kenneally.

Waterford Easily Overcome Sligo in National League Tie

Waterford Intermediate lady footballers recorded their third victory in the Tesco Home-grown Division 3 clash with Sligo on Sunday last in Fraher Field. Played in terrible underfoot conditions, both teams made very tentative starts and it was Waterford who registered the first score of the game in the 4th minute with a well taken point from Michelle Ryan following neat build up play by Linda Wall and Maria Delahunty. Stephanie O Reilly equalised matters in the 7th minute and three minutes later Sinead Ryan opened her account for the Deise girls with a pointed free. The play at this stage swung from end to end and Katie Walsh got Sligo’s second point in the 11th minute to tie the game at 2 points apiece. Great work from Michelle Ryan and Linda Wall set Sinead Ryan up for the first Waterford goal in the 12th minute to give the home side a lead they would not relinquish and indeed they could have gone further ahead had it not been for the brilliance of Sligo’s goalkeeper Noelle Gormley who twice denied Waterford certain goals in the space of two minutes. Maria Delahunty stretched Waterford’s lead with a point in the 14th minute and one minute later Aoife Murray had a great score which started with a Megan Dunford interception near her own goal and ended nine passes later with the Comeragh Rangers girls firing Waterford 5 points ahead 1-4 to Sligo’s 0-2.Stephanie O Relliy added to Sligo’s score in the 16th minute with a point but this was quickly cancelled out with a Maria Delahunty effort. In the 23rd minute Katie Walsh tacked on a point for Sligo which was quickly replied to by a Sinead Ryan free and Grainne Carty and Maria Delahunty exchanged points to leave the half time score Waterford 1-7 Sligo 0-5.

Waterford opened the second half in whirl-wind fashion Aileen Wall scored a point after 31 seconds. Aoife Murray took over the scoring and had the ball in the Sligo net almost directly from the kick out, she then pointed in the 3rd minute and following a great movement was on hand to put the game out of Sligo’s reach in the 7th minute with another goal. One minute later Sinead Ryan was on hand to score her second goal of the game to extend the lead to 16 points; 4-9 to 0-5. Maria Delahunty kept the score ticking over with a point in the 9th minute and Sinead Ryan brought her personal tally to 2-2 with another point in the 11th minute. Pat Sullivan made a number of changes at this stage but it did not affect the intensity of the Waterford play Eimear Fennell kicked a great score and Sinead Ryan kicked yet another point in reply to Sligo’s point from midfielder Bernice Byrne and the icing was on the cake when a brilliant move led to Lauren Mc Gregor rounding the keeper to score Waterford’s fifth goal. Sligo to their credit did not give up and Stephanie O Reilly forced a great save from Waterford goalie Clodagh Walsh and also hit the woodwork twice in the closing moments. Jonathon Murphy brought matters to an end to leave the final score Waterford 5-13 Sligo 0-5.

Manager Pat Sullivan was very pleased with the overall performance of the team and the excellent inter play between backs and forwards. Next up for the Deise girls is an away tie against Tipperary next weekend.

Waterford Lined Out As Follows: Katie Hannon, Megan Dunford, Karen Mc Grath, Emma Murray, Michelle Mc Grath, Elaine Power, Caoimhe Mc Grath, Mary Kate Morrissey, Mairead Wall, Linda Wall (capt), Maria Delahunty (0-4,) Aileen Wall(0-1), Michelle Ryan (0-1) Sinéad Ryan(2-4) and Aoife Murray(2-2)

Subs Used: Nicola Fennell, Mary Foley, Eimear Fennell(0-1), Clodagh Walsh, Kate Mc Grath, Ciara Hurley, Shauna Dunphy, Nora Dunphy, Emer Scanlan, Margaret Revins, Lauren Mc Gregor (1-0), and Aoife Dunne.

Match Results and Outstanding Fixtures 2014

Under 14 Championship (Results/Fixtures)

15th March 2014
Section A
Kerry 2-6 Cork 8-20

1st March 2014
Section B Round 1
Tipperary 2-2 Limerick 1-6
Clare 0-9 Waterford 4-3

15th March 2014
Section B Round 2
Limerick 4-3 Waterford 5-7
Tipperary 4-4 Clare 3-8

22nd March 2014
Section B Round 3
Limerick 3-2 Clare 4-5

26th March 2014
Section B Round 3
Waterford 4-8 Tipperary 1-4

19th April 2014
Waterford 2-9 Kerry 7-12
Clare 3-7 Cork 8-11

3rd May 2014
A Final
Kerry v Cork (Venue TBC)

B Final
Clare v Waterford (Venue TBC)

C Final
Limerick v Tipperary (Venue TBC)

Under 16 Championship (Results/Fixtures)

Under 16A
Date 23rd March 2014
Round 1
Waterford 3-19 Kerry 0-3

Date 5th April 2014
Round 2
Cork 3-4 Waterford 0-8

Date 16th April 2014
Round 3
Kerry 2-4 Cork 3-13

Date 26th April
Waterford v Cork

Under 16B
22nd March 2013
Round 1
Limerick 1-13 Clare 3-4

6th April 2014
Round 2
Tipperary 6-14 Limerick 3-9

Date 16th April 2014
Round 3
Tipperary 7-19 Clare 4-4

26th April 2014
Limerick v Tipperary

Match Reports

Under 14 Championship

Kerry 2-6 v Cork 8-20 (None Submitted)

Tipperary 2-2 v Limerick 1-6

Tipperary opened their U14 Munster Championship with a home tie against Limerick. The game was a very tense affair as both teams were not giving much away. The first fifteen minutes flew by without a score and this was mainly due to some great defending from both teams. Emma Cronin, Rachel O'Donnell and Caoimhe Comerford kept Limerick at bay by not letting them past the half back line. Limerick began to apply a little pressure and they forced a great save from Alice Browning in the Tipperary goal. Controversy struck in the twentieth minute when Limerick sent in a high ball which Tipperary dealt with well but the umpires deemed it over the line.

This is when Tipperary turned up the gears. Tipperary began to invade the Limerick goal with 3-4 goal chances and numerous point opportunities but luck was not on their side as they all went wide. Tipperary got a penalty which Sarah Delaney stepped up and knocked it over the bar and soon after Roisin Daly added a goal and a point to put Tipperary in front by two. Limerick got two quick fire points to leave the score level at half time.

The second half was to follow the same trend. Limerick showed great physical strength in winning a lot of hard earned ball. Sarah Delaney and Katie Cunningham stood up tall and didn’t let Limerick gain any momentum. Tipperary just could not put the points on the board and Limerick added four scores. Four points down and looking down and out, Tipperary worked a lovely ball into Caoimhe Ryan who took on her marker and finished in the back of the net. Tipperary took the driving seat with some great moves orchestrated by the half-forward line. Anna-Rose Kennedy caught some great ball and gave some great layoffs but luck just did not go Tipperary’s way. Between the cross bar and the post, Tipp could not get the score they required to level it up and Limerick went on to win by 1 point on a score line of 1-6 to 2-2

Tipperary Team: Alice Browning (Mullinahone), Caoimhe Comerford (Arravale Rovers), Laura Stocksborough (Fethard), Sophie Ryan (Fethard), Anna Carey (Clonmel Commercials), Rachel O'Donnell (Cahir), Emma Cronin (Moyle Rovers), Katie Cunningham (Lattin Cullen), Sarah Delaney (Boherlahan), Marie Creedon (Thurles Sarsfields), Linda Murphy (Brian Borus), Anna-Rose Kennedy (Aherlow), Roisin Daly (Moyne Templetuohy), Niamh Keane (St. Patrick’s), Saoirse O'Meara (Moycarkey Borris).

Scorers: Roisin Daly 1-1, Caoimhe Ryan 1-0, Sarah Delaney 0-1

Report By: Home County via Michelle Donnelly Tipperary LGFA PRO

Limerick's Under 14 girls football team travelled to play Tipperary in Lattin Cullen last Saturday, 1 March in Round 1 of the Under 14B Munster Championship. In ideal conditions in Lattin Cullen, both sides got stuck in from the start and defences on both sides were giving nothing away, until the twelfth minute when Limerick’s Captain Lauren Ryan, broke through the Tipperary defence to score a goal. This sprung the game to life and Tipperary responded with a goal and a point. Limerick introduced Emma Conway into the full back line and Limerick responded with points from Lauren Ryan and Laura O’Shaughnessy to leave the Half Time Score: Limerick 1-2 to Tipperary 1-2.

There was a real battle in store for the second half, with all to play for. Limerick made further changes to the forwards introducing Sinead Callinan, Orla Regan and Emma Frewen. Limerick went on a scoring spree, with excellent scores coming from Eimear Kirby, Lauren Ryan and two from midfielder Andrea O’Sullivan, Tipperary responded with a goal. Limerick defended right to the end and it would be unfair to single out any player, as it was a superb team effort. Final Score: Limerick 1-6 to Tipperary’s 2-2.

Team: Aoife Corbett (Monagea), Caoimhe McMahon (Aherlow), Maedbh McCarthy (Dromcollogher Broadford) Vice Captain, Lucy Ryan (St Brigids), Rosin Ambrose (Old Mill), Joanne Foley (Mungret/St Paul’s), Katie Heelan (St Ailbes), Andrea O’Sullivan (Ballylanders) Vice Captain, Sive O’Halloran (Adare), Ciara Clancy (St Brigids), Ciara Ryan (St Ailbes), Laura O’Shaughnessy (Gerald Griffins), Lauren Ryan (Adare) Captain, Emma Hogan (Monagea), Eimear Kirby (Knockainey).
Subs: Emma Conway (Mungret/St Paul’s) for Caoimhe McMahon, Sinead Callinan (Ahane) for Laura O’Shaughnessy, Orla Regan (Murroe Boher) for Ciara Ryan and Emma Frewen (Ballylanders) for Ciara Ryan.

Rest of the Panel: Claire O’Meara (Munget/St Paul’s), Rachel Fennell (Mungret/St Paul’s), Karin Mason (Mungret/St Paul’s), Aisling Herbert (Ahane), Nicole Kenny (St Brigids), Anna Madigan (Murroe Boher), Cathy Ambrose (Old Mill), Eileen Scanlon (Gerald Griffins), Lauren Corrigan (Shamrock Gaels), Ciara O’Brien (Mungret/St Paul’s) and Leah O’Carroll (Munget/St Paul’s). Team Manager: Kevin Boyle (St Brigids).

Backroom Team: Breda Ahern (Ahane), Breda Corbett (Monagea), Barry O’Halloran (Adare), Peter Sheehan (St Patrick’s) and John Holland (St Brigid’s).

Report By: Breda Ahern Limerick LGFA PRO

Clare 0-9 v Waterford 4-3

The final score-line does no justice to a courageous Clare display that saw the spirited girls in Saffron and Blue reduce a 3 – 2 to 0 – 3 half time deficit to 0 – 8 to 3 – 2 with the game entering five minutes of added time. Two softly conceded frees at this stage however handed the initiative back to the Déise side and they capitalised in converting their placed balls into a 1 – 1 return.

Waterford won this game through their first half performance when a nervous Clare team just could not get to grips with the pace and flow of the game. All this changed in the second period when Clare dominated affairs but that little bit of luck needed to dramatically change things on the scoreboard just never fell their way. What a goal would have done for home spirits and confidence we will never know but Pat Hanrahan and his team of mentors deserve great credit for the efforts his squad of players put in in trying to turn this game in Clare’s favour.

Clare got off to a horrible start when Waterford’s Abbie Dunphy converted a twenty metre free to the Clare net in the third minute. Clare’s Megan Downes pointed Clare’s opener, also from a free, on seven minutes. Waterford struck for their second goal in the twelfth minute when full forward Kate Cliffe netted. The excellent Emma McMahon then pointed from play for Clare but this was quickly cancelled out with a similar Waterford score from a Dunphy free. Emer Hanrahan scored another point for Clare on 22 minutes but Waterford finished the half strongly and added 1 – 1 before the break.

Clare came out fighting in the second period and scored 0 – 5 without reply to really bring the game to Waterford. The home defence also tightened up significantly with Tara Kelly giving a master class in defending. Points from McMahon (2), Downes, catriona Callinan and Kiera McGrath saw Clare in with a great chance as they dominated affairs throughout the field. A break in play for a blood injury to Waterford’s Abbie Dalton and an injury to Clare’s own Emma McMahon broke their momentum entering the vital last five minutes. Waterford secured two vital frees in this period which they converted into 1 – 1 to put a gloss on the final score-line that the home side ill deserved. Goals win matches and unfortunately for Clare they just could not raise a green flag. Still the team and management will gain both consolation and confidence from their super second half display.

Clare: Niamh O’Keeffe, Shona Power, Tara Kelly, Áine Keane, Laoise Ryan, Lizzie Roche, Sarah Marrinan, Emer Hanrahan(0-1), Sarah McGann, Aisling Reidy, Megan Downes (0-2), Emma McMahon(0-3), Eimear Keane, Fidelma Marrinan, Catríona Callinan(0-1).

Subs Used: Ciara Corbett, Aisling Morrissey, Keiera McGrath(0-1), Mary Conneally.

Report By: Home County via Paul McKenna, Secretary Clare LGFA

Round 2

Limerick 4-3 Waterford 5-7 (None Submitted)

Tipperary 4-4 Clare 3-8

It was Clare’s turn to make the journey to Tipperary and do the same. The venue was Leahy Park, at the foot of the Rock of Cashel under glorious spring sunshine but with a strong breeze blowing the length of the field.

Clare aided by the breeze in the first half started the scoring in the second minute with a Megan Downes point. Niamh Keane, Tipperary responded with a point of her own. Both teams recorded another point each before Fidelma Marrinan, Clare netted the ball in the tenth minute.

Emma McMahon strengthened Clare’s lead further with another point in the thirteenth minute. However, Niamh Keane, Tipperary reduced the deficit to a point when she scored a goal in the sixteenth minute. For the next ten minutes there was very little between the sides with neither side managing to score. In the twenty fourth minute Clare opened the scoring again with a point from Caitriona Callinan to be following by a Megan Downes point in the twenty ninth minute. In injury time of the first half Niamh Keane and Roisin Daly raised the green flag for Tipperary while Clare’s Sarah McGann scored a point for her team to leave the half-time score - Tipperary 3-2 Clare 1-6

The second half was a different affair with both sides having periods of domination. With wind assistance, Tipperary camped out in the Clare half for the first 15 minutes but struggled to find their shooting boots, kicking a number of wides. It was the thirty ninth minute before Tipperary opened their second half account with a point from Niamh Keane to be followed by another point from Caoimhe Ryan two minutes later. In the forty sixth minute Caoimhe Ryan netted the ball to give Tipperary a seven point lead. However, Tipperary’s purple patch was over and they never scored again in the game. Clare on the other hand scored a point in the 51st minute against the run of play, their first score of the second half.

This score seemed to give Clare hope that they were still in this game and with the Banner defence now on top, Clare began to build up momentum and this was translated in to scores as the visitors added a further two goals and a point in the closing stages to stage an unlikely but successful comeback, winning on a scoreline of Clare 3-8 Tipperary 4-4

Tipperary Team: Alice Browning (Mullinahone), Sadhbh Leahy (Thurles Sarsfields), Laura Stocksborough (Fethard), Sophie Ryan (Fethard), Anna Carey (Clonmel Commercials), Rachel O'Donnell (Cahir), Emma Cronin (Moyle Rovers), Katie Cunningham (Lattin Cullen), Sarah Delaney (Boherlahan), Marie Creedon (Thurles Sarsfields), Caoimhe Comerford (Arravale Rovers), Anna-Rose Kennedy (Aherlow), Roisin Daly (Moyne Templetuohy), Niamh Keane (St. Patrick’s), Caoimhe Ryan (St. Patrick’s)
Scorers: Niamh Keane 2-2, Caoimhe Ryan 1-1, Roisin Daly 1-0, Anna Rose Kennedy 0-1
Subs Used: Aine Hahessy for Sadhbh Leahy, Linda Murphy for Roisin Daly, Lauren McCormack for Caoimhe Ryan

Round 3

Limerick 3-2 Clare 4-5

Clare ran out deserving winners of this exciting U14 clash also played in Bruff on Saturday. In a winner take all clash to reach the Munster semi-final the home side made much the better start.

But as been their wont in all their games so far this enthusiastic Clare side stormed back in the second half and ran out a comfortable and deserved six points winners in the end.

Limerick raced into a 2 - 1 to 0 - 0 lead after just fifteen minutes and Clare looked to be in real trouble but once the girls in Saffron and Blue found their rhythm and scored a tonic opening goal on twenty minutes from Fidelma Marrinan there was no turning back from the eager beaver Pat Hanrahan managed side. Points from Megan Downes and Marrinan (2) saw the Limerick lead cut to the minimum by the interval at 2 - 1 to 1 - 3.

Clare equalised immediately on the restart through a Keira McGrath score but Limerick scored a goal and a point in quick succession to take command again by the 40th minute. However it was all Clare from here on in with Emma McMahon pointing and Megan Downes cancelling out the Limerick goal. Then came a brace of goals from Liscannor's Meg Brennan in the 53rd and 56th minute to seal the game for Clare. The Clare defence remained resolute and superbly marshalled by the excellent Tara Kelly kept Limerick scoreless for 23 minutes of the second period.

Great credit to the whole team who again gave their all to gain honour for their county. Many an outfit at this age group would have let their heads drop after such a poor start but not this team of brave-hearts who have shown tremendous tenacity and fighting spirit in their three games to date.

Scorers Clare: Meg Brennan 2 - 0, Fidelma Marrinan 1 - 2, Megan Downes 1 - 1, Emma McMahon 0 - 1, Kiera McGrath 0 - 1

Report By: Dr. Paul McKenna Clare LGFA

Waterford 4-8 Tipperary 1-4

A floodlit Fraher Field, Dungarvan was the venue for the Round 3 Munster Under 14 B Football Championship match on Wednesday last between Tipperary and Waterford. It was a game where the result would not change the Munster Championship Final permutations so Tipperary used the opportunity to give all players the experience of Inter County Football.

From the throw in Waterford had their scoring boots on and recorded three goals and a point in the first quarter. This unsteadied the Tipperary team and it would be the second quarter before they got to grips with the game. Once settled Tipperary scored a goal and a point while Waterford added a further goal and two points to their score line to leave the half-time score - Waterford 4-3 Tipperary 1-4.

Tipperary were first on the field for the second half and put in a much better performance. However they lacked the scoring ability despite having a number of chances and only managed three points in this half. Waterford on the other hand found it tougher to breakdown Tipperary and only recorded five points. Waterford 4-8 Tipperary 1-4

Tipperary Team: Amy Norris (Moyle Rovers), Sadhbh Leahy (Thurles Sarsfields), Katie Cunningham (Lattin Cullen), Louise Norris (Moyle Rovers), Muireann O’Connell (Fethard), Caoimhe Comerford (Arravale Rovers), Emma Cronin (Moyle Rovers), Saoirse O’Meara (Moycarkey Borris), Sarah Delaney (Boherlahan), Marie Creedon (Thurles Sarsfields), Anna-Rose Kennedy (Aherlow), Emma Murphy (Clonmel Og), Emma Morrissey (Aherlow), Niamh Keane (St. Patrick’s), Aine Fitzgerald (Moyle Rovers).

Scorers: Aine Fitzgerald 1-0, Maire Creedon 0-1, Emma Murphy 0-1, Sarah Delaney 0-1, AineHahessy 0-1.

Under 16 Championship

Under 16A

Waterford 3-19 Kerry 0-3

The Waterford ladies under 16 team got their Munster campaign off to a wonderful start when they easily accounted for Kerry in the first round of the Munster under 16A championship, played in Bishopstown. By virtue of Waterford winning the All Ireland B championship at under 14B level two years ago, they were promoted to the A championship this year at under 16 level. Kerry were first out of the blocks with a point from full forward Eilish O Leary in the fourth minute, but that was as good as it got for the ladies from the Kingdom as Waterford turned on a five star performance in the first half with three goals in rapid succession from Megan Dunford, Katie Murray and Aoife Murray in a three minute spell to leave Waterford comfortably ahead at half time on the score line of Waterford 3-9 to Kerry’s 0-2.

Kerry got the opening score of the second half a point in the 3rd minute but that was to be their only score of the second half. Waterford were in total control in the final thirty minutes and while their tempo dropped considerably in the second half they still tacked on six unanswered points to run out convincing winners on a final score line Waterford 3-19 Kerry 0-3.This was a great win for Waterford and the team played with skill and flair for most of the game. The management will undoubtedly be pleased with the victory but they also know that there are bigger tasks ahead for the Deise girls, no bigger than their next opponents reigning all Ireland champions and the hottest of favourites, Cork in the next round.

Report By: Michael Gildea Waterford LGFA PRO

Cork 3-4 Waterford 0-8 (None Submitted)

Kerry 2-4 Cork 3-13 (None Submitted)


Waterford v Cork

Under 16B

Limerick 1-13 Clare 3-4

An unfortunate Clare were deprived of victory in this keenly contested game in Bruff on Saturday when a late Limerick rally secured a goal and a point to earn a last gasp victory for the home side. Although physically smaller throughout most areas of the field Clare played the more attractive football throughout this game played in very heavy and wintery conditions and dominated for long periods especially in the second half.

However the Clare girls were left to rue many wasted scoring opportunities and despite raising three green flags through Aoibhe King (2) and Cliona Blake they were guilty of spurning equally as many goal scoring chances. Had these been taken Clare could have been out of sight before Limerick's late scoring spree.

Limerick made the early running with centre forward Gráinne Regan causing many problems for the Clare defence. By the quarter hour Limerick led by four points to two with the Clare scores coming from a Chloe Maloney free and a Clions Blake point from play. Regan had two for the Shannonsiders as did corner forward Allannagh Russell. Russell, Shauna Ryan, Bríd Flannagan and Russel extended Limerick's lead before Aoibhe King gave Clare a much needed boost with a well taken goal on 27 minutes which was quickly followed by a Maloney free a minute later to leave Limerick ahead at the break on a 1 - 3 to 0 - 8 scoreline.

Limerick again raced out of the blocks in the second half and had three quick points from Regan, Ryan and Russell. Aoibhe King then got in for her second goal on 37 minutes and Clare completely took over affairs for the next quarter hour. Blake goaled on forty three minutes and midfielder Ronya Baumann had an excellent point to give Clare a 3 - 4 to 0 - 12 advantage entering the final minutes. As already stated Clare should have had a much better return from their period of dominance and while Aoife Barry pulled off some excellent saves in the Limerick goal the Clare forwards will be kicking themselves for not converting more of the opportunities they created. So it was then that they were hit with a late Limerick scoring rally and were crestfallen when the final whistle blew.

Clare Scorers: Aoibhe King 2 - 0, Cliona Blake 1 - 1, Chloe Maloney 0 - 2 (2f), Ronya Baumann 0 - 1.

Report By: Dr. Paul McKenna Clare LGFA

Tipperary 6-14 Limerick 3-9

Tipperary Under 16 Ladies opened their Munster Championship campaign with a comprehensive 6-14 to 3-9 win against Limerick in Bansha on Sunday. The score line however, does not reflect the true nature of the game throughout.

Playing against the stiff breeze in the first half Tipperary opened their scoring with less than a minute played with a point from Aoibhe O’Shea. This opener was then quickly followed with a Lara O’Dwyer point and Kirsty Crotty Ryan goal within three minutes play to leave a somewhat shell-shocked Limerick struggling to catch up. Two Roisin Finnane points added to the Tipperary score line as Tipperary raced in to a 1-4 to no score lead. Limerick opened their scoring soon afterwards and this steadied them a little. A second goal for Kirsty Crotty Ryan on the eleventh minute appeared to hand Tipperary back the momentum but it was Limerick who upped their play registering a further goal and four points to narrow the gap. Two points from Aoibhe O’Shea (1 free) and a third goal for Tipperary by Roisin Finnane gave them a comfortable and deserved half time lead, 3-7 to 1-5. A feature of this half was the more clinical finishing by the Tipperary forwards who threatened whenever they got near goal.

When the second half commenced Tipperary immediately resumed where they had left off registering two early Kate Davey points. These were immediately followed by a goal and three points for Limerick whose confidence levels were now beginning to increase and they continued to press forward with intent. Tipp’s Jean Kelly added a point from play on the thirteenth minute which was immediately answered with a second Limerick goal on the fifteenth minute following a mix up in the Tipp defence. Another point for Limerick in the eighteen minute saw the minimum between the sides. Tipp’s management team now made some changes bringing on fresh legs and the play swung back in Tipp’s favour. A Caoimhe Condon goal and two points between the twenty first and twenty second minute of this half restored Tipp’s breathing space and they finished much the stronger side scoring a further one goal and a point from Aoibhe O’Shea, a goal from Jean Kelly and the final point of the day scored by Caoimhe Condon in injury time.

Overall this Tipperary side look a balanced and well prepared side. Seven players contributed to the Tipp scores which is a healthy sign of any teams attack. The defence was solid and worked tirelessly throughout. Many Limerick attacks were broken up early by the alert defenders among whom Shania Dowling, Aine Dunne & Grainne Ryan were prominent. The midfield pairing of Deirbhle Fitzgerald and Grainne Condon linked up well providing excellent early ball to the forward line.

Tipperary Team: Emer McCarthy, Aine Dunne, Zoe Farrell, Christina Brennan, Laura Morrissey, Shania Dowling, Grainne Ryan, Deirbhle Fitzgerald, Grainne Condon, Aoibhe O’Shea (1-5 (2f)), Lara O’Dwyer (0-1), Everena Everard, Roisin Finnane (1-2), Kirsty Crotty Ryan (2-0), Kate Davey (0-2).
Subs Used: Jean Kelly (1-1), Caoimhe Condon (1-3), Orla Burke, Katie O’Donoghue, Aoife O’Donnell.

Reported By: Declan O’Shea, Assistant PRO

Tipperary 7-19 Clare 4-4

Attention turned to a sun drenched Lattin Cullen venue for this second round match between Tipperary Under 16B Ladies and their opponents Clare. Having opened their account with a comprehensive win against Limerick on the 6th of April, the winners from this encounter could expect to contest a Munster final in the coming weeks. Conditions for football were ideal with a fresh breeze blowing towards the dressing room end and of the pitch which was well prepared by the local club.

Once more Tipperary opened the proceedings with an early goal by Caoimhe Condon following some lovely interplay by the forwards. However it was Clare who then went on to dominate over the next fifteen minutes scoring two goals and a point without reply. Clare full forward Chloe Moloney was involved in all these scores and her direct running style was unsettling the Tipperary defence. Two Tipperary points from Lara O’Dwyer and Grainne Condon and a goal from Caoimhe Condon by the twenty first minute helped steady the side before Clare again replied with two further points from play. Tipperary’s Aoibhe O’Shea kicked two points putting Tipperary ahead going into the final five minutes of the first half but again Clare replied with a goal and two points to take back the lead. With almost the last kick of the half Tipperary’s Roisin Finnane blasted a shot to the Clare net leaving the half time score 3:04 apiece. Both sides had some poor wides in the half but the Clare attack was sharper and more threatening throughout. However there was no panic on the Tipperary sideline and the second half was eagerly awaited by all spectators who expected more of the same during the second half.

Half time changes saw Aishling Moloney and Christina Brennan join the action for Tipp and it was noticeable from the throw in that Tipperary had now upped their game considerably. With the Tipperary midfield now dominant the scores quickly began to mount and between the thirty first and fifty fourth minutes Tipperary scored an unanswered three goals and twelve points before Clare managed to break forward and score their only score of the second half a goal on fifty fifth minute. By this time the Tipperary management had used up all their subs and Tipperary continued to score freely. The final whistle must have come as a relief to the Clare girls and mentors but in fairness to them it was a game of two halves with Tipp completely dominant throughout the second period. It would be unfair to single out any individual player as all players upped their game when it mattered most. Lattin Cullen club player Lara O’Dwyer surely enjoyed playing on her home ground and was Tipperary’s top scorer on the day with 4-03 from play. She was well assisted by her team mates in attack and in all eight Tipperary players contributed to the total. Tipperary had excellent performances throughout all areas and are now showing a little bit of steel in their play. They will now contest a Munster final on the April 26th at a venue to be confirmed and opponents will be Limerick who will relish another attempt against this Tipp team.

If Tipperary can maintain their progress to date and keep themselves grounded despite these comprehensive victories they will hope to advance from Munster.

Tipperary Team: Emer McCarthy, Aine Dunne, Aoife Corcoran, Zoe Farrell, Laura Morrissey, Shania Dowling, Grainne Ryan, Deirbhle Fitzgerald, Grainne Condon (0-2), Aoibhe O’Shea (0-5), Lara O’Dwyer (4-3), Everena Everard, Kate Davey (0-1), Caoimhe Condon (2-1), Roisin Finnane(1-2).

Subs: Jean Kelly, Aisling Deely, Kristy Crotty Ryan (0-1), Orla Burke, Katie O’Donoghue, Olivia Hogan, Kate Barlow, Aoife O’Donnell, Aishling Moloney (0-4), Christina Brennan, Sarah Duggan, Michelle McMeel, Eileen Flannery.

Management: Siobhan Condon, Pat Morrissey, Mary O’Shea, Paddy McMeel, Georgina O’Dwyer, Anthony O’Brien, Aidan Bradshaw (Physio).

Reported By Declan O’Shea, Assistant PRO

Final 26th April 2014

Tipperary v Limerick

Minor Championship

The Munster Minor championship is going to be run on a 2 group model with both Kerry and Cork who are A being seeded apart from each other.

Group 1 will have Limerick, Tipperary and Kerry

Group 2 will have Clare, Waterford and Cork

Round 1

Group 1

29th March 2014 Postponed

Limerick v Tipperary



Referee: M J O'Keefe

Group 2

2nd April 2014

Waterford 8-14 Clare 0-1

Venue: Fraher Field

Time: 6.30pm

Referee: Tony Fox

Round 2

Group 1

12th April 2014

Kerry 4-14 Limerick 3-6



Referee: Kieran Creed

Group 2

Clare v Cork



Referee: Shane Flourish

Round 3

Group 1

19th April 2014*

Tipperary 2-16 Kerry 1-12



Referee: Chris Cronin

*This game will be moved to another date from above due to Tipperary's involvement in Post Primary Schools National Fixtures. The MLGFA fixtures committee will contact both counties when re fixed

Group 2

Cork v Waterford

Venue: TBC


Referee: Michael Duffy


The Top two teams will compete in the A Final

Teams placed in second and third place will play semi-final for B section (29th April 2014)

Kerry and Cork cannot compete in B final

Finals fixed for 3rd May 2014

Intermediate Championship Draws

Round 1

21st June 2014

Limerick v Waterford

Round 2

28th June 2014

Tipperary v Limerick

Round 3

2nd July 2014

Waterford v Tipperary

Intermediate Final

12th July 2014 - Rathmore

Senior Championship Draws

Round 1

21st June 2014

Cork v Clare

Round 2

28th June 2014

Cork v Kerry

Round 3

2nd July 2014

Clare v Kerry

Senior Final

12th July 2014 - Rathmore GAA

First team named have home advantage unless otherwise stated or directed by MLGFA Fixtures Committee

In the response from players across Munster to get a better idea of how the league is progressing, each week here at we will have a complete round up of the games appearing on the Tuesday after match day. If you want to help us out email a brief report to or a DM to @barrydonal on Twitter and we can help put a true reflection on the games. We will feature all the divisons and all the teams.

Week 4 Round Up

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 1

Kerry 1-8 v Cork 1-7

Venue: Dingle

Kerry’s recent good form over Cork continued with a late dramatic one-point win over the current league champions to see them now win 3 of their last 4 meetings with Cork. Both sides struggled with the wind conditions and actually scored better against it. Doireann O’Sullivans 2nd minute goal was the highlight of the first half as both sets of defences made it difficult to score.

Cork led at the break 1-3 to 0-2. The second half saw Kerry begin brightly and they began to chip away at the Cork lead. A 42nd minute goal by Louise Ni Mhuirtceartaigh put Kerry ahead 1-5 to 1-4 but Cork through Geraldine O’Flynn and Valerie Mulcahy put them back in control and they enjoyed a 2 point lead with 4 minutes of play remaining.

Kerry pushed forward through route one and with Lorraine Scanlon causing all sorts of trouble in the full forward line, Kerry found their 3 points from the boots of Deirdre Corridon, Sarah Houlihan and Ni Mhuirtceartaigh again. The win puts Kerry in with a shout of a semi-final spot and Cork will now need a result against Dublin to avoid a third defeat.

Referee: Keith Delahunty

Tyrone 0-6 v Monaghan 4-15

Venue: Killeeshil

Monaghan continued their good form with a comfortable win over neighbour Tyrone with a devastating first half performance, which saw them take a 2-10 to 0-2 lead to the break with goals from Caitriona McConnell and Caoimhe Mohan. Tyrone saw a little more of the ball in the second period but any chances they had of getting back into it were crushed with further goals from McConnell (penalty) and Niamh Kindlon. Monaghan remain top while Tyrone are 7th

Referee: Eugene O Hare

Donegal 0-7 v Dublin 5-9

Venue: Donegal

Dublin’s unbeaten run remained intact following facile victory over Donegal. Donegal who lost their manager ahead of the game were a pale shadow of the team that defeated Dublin a year ago at the same grade.

Dublin continued their early blitzkrieg of teams and were 3-01 to 0-1 ahead inside fifteen minutes, Noelle Healy, Lyndsey Davey and Siobhan Woods all on target. Carla Rowe added a 4th towards the end of a one sided half that had the Dub’s in at the break 4-5 to 0-3 ahead. Despite a fifth goal by Noelle Healy, Donegal did manage to get back into it in the second half for stages but they failed to make a real impact on the score board ending up 17 points adrift and in real danger of being relegated at this stage.

Referee: Gus Chapman

Mayo 7-10 v Laois 0-9

Venue: Ballyheane

Make no mistake about it Mayo is a hard place to go to get a result and Laois without a game in nearly 3 weeks faded out of the contest very much in the later stages of the second half as Mayo went to town on the midlanders.

Cora Staunton scored all of Mayo’s 2-5 in the first half as the hosts took a 2-5 to 0-4 lead to the break. However, the green flags just kept coming in the second period as Laois struggled to get anything out of the game. Staunton (2), Sarah Roe (2) and Aileen Gilroy were all on target. Laois hover over the relegation spot while Mayo have eyes on a semi-final spot.

Referee: PJ Rabbitte

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 2

Westmeath 1-18 v Meath 2-7

Venue: St. Lomans

Westmeath produced their best of half of football possibly ever in the first 30 minutes of this all Leinster derby. They led 0-7 to no score after ten minutes and it may well have been more only for some fine saves by Irene Munelly in the Meath goal.

Meath’s Kate Byrne grabbed a much needed goal for the Royals but with Westmeath shooting from all angles they took a 0-15 to 1-4 lead to the break.

An early second half goal by Karen McDermott was enough to seal the deal as Meath now with the wind conditions did well to get back into but even a Kate O’Brien goal was merely to serve only as a consolation score as Westmeath now look like the only the team that may well ask serious questions of Galway.

Martin Flanagan will be happy to see Westmeath have nine different scorers on the day and even happier that up next are Galway. Book your tickets now

Referee: Yvonne Duffy (Cavan).

Cavan 0-11 v Down 3-9

Venue: Breffni Park

Dark horses Down took the points in this Ulster derby which may have ended Cavan’s chances for another season while doing no harm to their own.

Level at the break 0-7 to 1-4 with Cara Cunningham on target for the Mourne ladies, Down’s ability to get the important goals from Jess Foy and Grainne Kelly in the second half put them on their way.

Cavan will be disappointed but over relied on frees to get them through the contest. Down now have a semi-final spot very much in their hands with bottom of the table Fermanagh next to come.

Referee: Gerry Carmody

Clare 1-4 v Galway 4-12

Venue: Corofin

For the second week in a row Clare were unable to overturn a team that were reduced to 13 players at one stage but in fairness to the Banner this Galway side even at this stage are worth every penny of their favourite tags for the title.

The Galway girls held Clare scoreless for the first half and ran up 2-7 of their own with Roisin Leonard and Caitriona Cormican getting the goals. Leonard and Ger Conneally added another double for them in the second period with Grainne Nolan getting one back for Clare.

Galway now top the table and look ahead to a clash with fellow table toppers Westmeath next week, While Clare still have a chance of getting to the final four with their back game against Kildare now of extreme importance to them.

Referee: Jason Mullins

Fermanagh v Kildare

Venue: Kinawley

John Divilly’s side finally got a victory under their belt and despite the fact they sit lowly in the division with a victory in their back game to Clare, they may well still be in the mix. Maria Moolick with a goal in each half along with a converted penalty by Elaine Dillion had Kildare in control throughout despite a goal from Fermanagh’s Maria McDonald.

The result has Fermanagh at the bottom and unless a big change in fortune comes its looks like the drop for them. They have Down next week. A loss and they will certainly lose Division 2 status.

Referee: John Niland

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 3

Longford 0-5 v Waterford 6-15

Venue: TBC

Waterford were comfortable winners on the road as they maintained a 100% record in Division 3. The Deise girls made all the early running and a Michelle Ryan goal had them 1-4 to 0-0 after the first quarter. A late first half goal by Hannah Landers saw them comfortable at the break 2-8 to 0-3

There was no let-up in the second period as further goals from Ryan, Landers and Linda Wall (2), ended it as contest as Waterford look on a collision course with Armagh of whom they lost the 2012 All Ireland Intermediate final

Referee: Paul Fahy

Tipperary 6-13 v Sligo 5-3

Venue: Clonmel

Having suffered narrow defeats to Waterford and Armagh, The premier county finally got the show back on the road with a 13-point victory over Sligo. However it would be unfair to suggest that Sligo did not make a fight of it and it took two late first half goals by Mairead Morrissey and Gillian O’Brien to take a 2-7 to 3-3 lead at the break. Sligo struck for an early second half goal but Tipperary with wind conditions were in control and added goals from Alison Lonergan (2),Edith Carroll Shauna Ryan and now are very much back in the hunt for a semi-final spot. However, the concession of five goals may be a concern

Referee: Seamus Mulvihill

Wexford 2-11 v Leitrim 0-13

Venue: Camolin

A touch of De Ja Vu for Leitrim, last season they won their first three games but lost form and lost out to Tipperary in a playoff spot. Last Sunday a win against bottom side Wexford would have given them their Semi-final spot but again they finished short to a young Wexford outfit who may well have avoided the drop with this victory.

Referee: Jonathan Murphy

Armagh 3-14 v Offaly 0-3

Venue: Abbey CBS Newry

It was always going to be a tough ask for Offaly to get something from an in form Armagh and thus is proved a bridge too far. Armagh led 1-9 to 0-2 at the break. Offaly only added a further point in the second period as the gap in standards proved too much. Armagh sit top with Waterford while a somewhat surprise win for Wexford now sees Offaly at the bottom of the pile with a likely relegation battle with their Leinster counterparts.

Referee: Paul Swift

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 4

Louth 0-12 v Wicklow 1-11

Venue: Castlebellingham

As predicted here last week Louth needed to up their performance if they were to get a win at home. They certainly set their stall out early and made most of the running throughout the game even at one stage enjoying a 0-7 to 0-1 lead but a storming final quarter gave Wicklow their first win in 2 league seasons and have set them up with a chance of making the semi-finals.

Referee: Conor Dourneen

Derry 2-3 Limerick 7-8

Venue: Watty Graham Park

Limerick minus a number of regulars made the long trip to Derry and will be delighted to have got back to winning ways. The other positives for them surely was the putting up a big score and giving a number of young players a run.

Derry too can be happy with their opening half of football and were only the bare minimum behind at the break 2-2 to 2-1. Louise Ryan and Megan O’Mara with the away side’s goals.

The second half was a different affair with Limerick taking complete control and with further goals from Marie Curtin (2) Megan O’Shea (2) and another from Megan O’Mara.

Referee: Brian Mc Callion

Roscommon 3-14 v Antrim 2-7

Venue: Strokestown

Roscommon maintained control of this Division with a comfortable win over Antrim. The Rossies had a 1-9 to 1-2 half time lead and with the help of a converted penalty early in the second period they went on to record a deserved victory. Antrim did get the game back to 6 points heading into the final minutes but costly yellows in both the first and second half made it more difficult for them.

Referee: Kevin Corcoran

Week 3 Round Up

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 1

Cork 0-13 Monaghan 2-14

Venue: Mallow

A goal in each half was enough for Monaghan to maintain their good recent record over Cork in the early rounds of the league. Minus the scoring threat of Valerie Mulcahy, Cork struggled against the wind in the first half and trailed 1-8 to 0-4 at the break with Ciara McAnespie getting Monaghan’s goal. A second Monaghan goal by Cathriona McConnell extended the Farney lead to 2-9 to 0-6 and despite a strong effort by Cork to close the gap Monaghan hung on to avenge their All Ireland final defeat.

Ref: Keith Delahunty (Tipperary)

Mayo 2-9 Dublin 2-12

Venue: Castlebar

Dublin backed up their impressive win over Kerry at home with a hard fought one away to Mayo and more pleasing for Gregory McGonigle’s side was they had come from behind to do it. Mayo led at the break 2-5 to 1-6 with Doirean Hughes and Cora Staunton (Pen) getting the home sides goals with Sinead Aherne on the mark for the Dub’s. The second half saw Dublin take control with a Siobhan Woods goal, although they had to endure a few nervy last minutes to collect their points before heading back to the capital. Sinead Aherne put up an impressive 1-7. One more than Mayo’s Cora Staunton on 1-6

Ref: John Niland (Sligo)

Donegal 1-8 Tyrone 4-5

Venue: Castlefinn

If ever a player proved her worth to a team, veteran Gemma Begley did as she notched up 4-2 of her sides 4-5 to give them a vital win that well may prove important when the relegation battle heats up.

There was little to separate the sides in the opening quarter with Aishling Cunningham netting for the home side and Gemma Begley grabbing a brace to leave the bare minimum between them after 20 minutes. Tyrone ahead 2-1 to 1-3. However, Tyrone through Begley finished the half-stronger and they took a 5-point lead to the break, which they held onto until the final whistle

Ref: Yvonne Duffy

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 2

Fermanagh 0-5 Galway 6-22

Venue: Irvinestown

It was not pretty viewing for the home supporters as Galway easily brushed aside the locals in one of the big mismatches of the day. Fermanagh have now shipped 3 big defeats while Galway have made it 2 in a row but tougher tasks will lie ahead

Ref: Gus Chapman (Sligo)

Down 2-9 Westmeath 5-14

Venue: Mayobridge

Worryingly for the opposition Westmeath finally found the form they have been promising for some time. Leading at the break 3-9 to 1-3 with goals from Karen Hegarty, Ruth Kearney and Kelly Boyce Jordan they were never troubled in the second half by a game Down outfit who have certainly taken to Division 2 without fear but on this occasion they had no answer. However for Down that is now Galway and Westmeath out of the way as they look forward to teams that may be more their level. For Westmeath they are just a game away from a semi-final spot.

Ref: K McKeever

Kildare 1-10 Meath 1-11

Venue: Hawkfield

A last minute point by Meath’s Geraldine Doherty was all that separated these Leinster rivals as the royals kept themselves very much in the hunt for a return back to Division 1. A Katie O’Brien goal was enough to give the away side the lead at half time 1-4 to 0-5 but a goal by Kildare’s Maria Moolick gave Kildare a brief second half lead. However, as the clock tick towards the death Doherty proved to be the match winner. Katie O'Brien bagged 1-5 for the Royals.

Ref: Joe Murray (Westmeath)

Clare 0-11 Cavan 1-11

Venue: Meelick

For those that doubt the passion of teams to get out of Division 2 Meelick was the place to be. A Geraldine Sheridan goal was the difference between the teams in what was a feisty and entertaining affair that saw a number of sin binning’s. Cavan were ahead at the break 1-4 to 0-4 having made all the running. Clare had it down to a point with ten minutes remaining just trailing 0-9 to 1-7 but a failure to push on against a resolute Cavan who were down to 13 players would cost them.

Louise Henchy’s eye catching free taking from off the ground was one of the big talking points afterwards.

Ref: Seamus Mulvihill (Kerry)

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 3

Leitrim 2-12 Longford 0-7

Venue: Carrick on Shannon

A good first half performance by Leitrim was enough to see them defeat Longford. Leading at the break 1-6 to 0-0 it took Longford an age to find their way and when they did Clare Green proved effective with 4 points but just as Longford got to within 5 points Leitrim had a second goal and made sure of the points.

Ref: G Carmody

Waterford 2-8 Tipperary 1-10

Venue: Fraher Field Dungarvan

A vital goal by Hannah Landers mid-way through the second half proved to be enough for the home side to keep their 100% record intact after Tipperary faltered somewhat in the closing stages.

Tipperary got off to a perfect start with a Lorraine O'Shea goal inside the first 2 minutes and despite a reply from Hannah Landers on the 12th minute the away side had a point lead at the break 1-5 to 1-4. Tipperary push their lead out to 3 at one stage in the second half but that Landers goal put Waterford back into the driving seat in a real ding dong battle.

Ref: M Doherty (Wexford)

Sligo 6-13 Offaly 1-10

Venue: Connolly Park

Having been on the back of a few drubbings it was Sligo’s turn to dish it out this week. Whatever Pat Costello has endured by seeing his team concede 14 goals in two games today, he was a happy man seeing his side secure their first win and put up a decent score as well.

They led at the break 4-7 to 0-5 with a hat trick of goals from Noelle Gormley and a fourth from Eilise Codd. Offaly converted a penalty in the second half and did well to close the gap somewhat but the concession of another brace of goals from second half substitute Denise McGrath saw Sligo leap frog Offaly in the table. Noelle Gormely finished the day with 3-4 for the home side

Ref: G Fahy

Wexford 1-6 Armagh 3-21

Venue: Ballygarrett

Armagh went about their business in a professional manner away to Wexford and it was just a routine win on the road for them. Their half time lead of 1-15 to 0-2 had little for the home fans to enjoy but with two grades between it was always going to be tough for the locals. Caroline O’Hanlon top scored with 2-5 for Armagh with Kelly Mallon also chipping in a goal.

Ref: P Kehoe (Carlow)

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 1

Monaghan 2-19 Laois 1-9

Venue: Inniskeen

Despite last week’s disappointment of a cancelled game, John Morrison finally got to see his side open their league campaign in which a devastating second half performance was far too much for Laois to handle. At halftime, Monaghan led 1-7 to 0-7 however; the Ulster champions cut loose with aid of the wind and notched up a comfortable win.

Ref: Gavin Corrigan (Down)

Donegal 2-10 Cork 3-13

Venue: Robert Emmett Park Castlefin

Not for the first time Cork had to dig deep into their reserves to fend off a Donegal team that showed tremendous spirit a not a lot of respect for their much vaunted opponents. The locals must surely have felt a shock was in store as both teams finished level at the end of the first half.

Donegal were within a point of Cork with 15 minutes to go but not for the first time the Rebels finished stronger and ran out rather flattering but deserving winners. Emma Farmer (2) and Ciara O’Sullivan were Cork goal scorers. While Aisling Cunningham scored a double for the home side.

Ref: Gus Chapman (Sligo)

Dublin 3-9 Kerry 0-7

Venue: Parnell’s GAA Coolock

Life under Gregory McGonigle got off to a flier as the home side put Kerry to the sword inside 18 minutes thanks to goals from Noelle Healy (2) and Carla Rowe to give them a 3-3 lead before Kerry got their first score. Dublin were 3-7 to 0-2 ahead at the break.

However as the game wore on the Kerry experience did match their opponents youthfulness but a defence well marshalled by Sinead Goldrick gave nothing up easy. Kerry were missing their inspirational Captain Bernie Breen and fearfully for them they took both their All Stars off well before full time.

Ref: James Flood (Wexford)

Tyrone 0-4 Mayo 5-17

Venue: Tyrone Centre of Excellence

The Mayo men may have went down to Tyrone but there was to be no double as a hungry and far fitter Mayo did not spare the locals. Ahead at half time 4-7 to 0-4, Mayo kept the red hand scoreless in the second half. Amazingly in their last two matches Mayo have only conceded one score in the second half and that was a goal to Cork’s Valerie Mulcahy. Cora Staunton was the headline grabber with 1-13 while Gemma Begley topped scored for the losing side with 0-3. She has now scored 1-9 out of Tyrone’s 1-10 in their last two games.

Referee: T McShea (Donegal)

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 2

Galway 1-12 Down 0-6

Venue: Tuam Stadium

Galway got their campaign under way having to sit out last week and it took them a while to find their stride against a Down outfit who will take plenty positives from the game. An Annette Clarke converted penalty was the difference at the break with Galway ahead 1-3 to 0-3. However, Galway found scores easier to get in the second half and ran out 9-point winners

Ref: G McMahon (Dublin)

Westmeath 2-17 Fermanagh 0-9

Venue: St. Lomans

Martin Flanagan’s outfit continued their steady start in Division with a second win on the trot. Westmeath who surprised many last season by getting to the semi-finals went about their business in a professional manner and with goals from Nicola Judge and Ruth Kearney led at the break 2-9 to 0-4. Fermanagh did make a better fist of things in the second half but were always second fiddle to Westmeath who ran up a comfortable 14-point win.

Ref: P J Rabitte (Galway)

Meath 1-10 Cavan 0-5

Venue: Donaghmore/Ashbourne GAA Club

Cavan not unlike a lot of teams on Sunday were made to pay for giving up a large lead at half time despite playing against a strong wind. Meath took a dominant 1-7 to 0-0 with them to the break with Emma Troy goaling. They defended their fortress “Ashbourne” to the hilt in the second half to see off neighbours Cavan.

It took Cavan 40 minutes to get their first score and despite a brave last quarter by them, they were never to get close enough and now have suffered two defeats while Meath will have their first points on the board with a trip to Kildare to come for them.

Ref: Des McEnery (Westmeath)

Kildare v Clare

For the second week in a row, Kildare sat out due to a postponement. At this stage John Divillys side have two games in hand on most and it will make for a bit of a fixtures headache.

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 3

Tipperary 2-7 Armagh 1-12

Venue: Grangemockler

Tipperary and Armagh served up yet another exciting chapter in their recent rivalry with the same result – An Armagh win by a narrow margin. Mairead Morrissey and Gillan O’Brien had goals for the home side in the first half but Kelly Mallon got one back for Armagh and sent both sides to the break as close as ever with Tipperary ahead 2-4 to 1-6.

Both sides tightened up considerably in the second half and Armagh were forced to call on all their experience to edge ahead and when Tipperary lost a player to yellow the Ulster team closed out the game by just 2 points

Ref: N. McCormack (Laois)

Wexford 1-9 Waterford 5-15

Venue: Grantstown

For the second week in a row Waterford mixed the “Experience” with the “Youth” and had far much for a Wexford side who at stages displayed some great heart but eventually had to give way to a team moving in a different direction to them.

Waterford went to the break 3-8 to 1-5 ahead with Waterford’s goals from Hannah Landers and a Margaret Revins double with Wexfords Fiona Bennett getting the Wexford goal.

The game was over within the first ten minutes of the second half as Waterford added 2 goals from Michelle Ryan and Linda Wall. So it is two from two for Waterford but harder tests lie ahead now for Pat O’Brien. Michelle Ryan top scored for Waterford with 1-6 but Margaret Reins continues to grow her reputation with a fine 2-2. Fiona Bennett and Fiona Rochford were eye catching for Wexford.

Ref: K. Phelan (Laois)

Offaly v Leitrim

The weather was the only winner, as both teams had to sit out their game due to the pitch failing an investigation.

Longford 5-6 Sligo 1-11

Venue: Newtowncashel

For the second week in a row, Sligo learned the harsh lesson that goals wins games and despite being competitive with Longford the concession of 3 second, half goals swung the game away from them.

It was a good first win for new manager John Higgins but leaking five goals along with nine from the previous week Sligo very much know where the running repairs will need to take place ahead of much tougher tasks ahead

Ref: S. Regan (Roscommon)

TESCO Homegrown National Football League Division 4

Wicklow 3-12 Antrim 3-14

Venue: Wicklow

Antrim got a lot more than they bargained for with a hard fought 2-point win. Wicklow may have been fearing life in this division but showed enough to suggest they may be in with a shout of a semi-final spot. Antrim now move to the top with 6 points

Ref: Joe Murray (Dublin)

Limerick v Roscommon

Venue: Tournafalla

Another game that had to wind conditions play a part as Roscommon made good use of the conditions to their first half benefit to lead 2-10 to 0-0 at the break. Limerick found Roscommon a difficult opponent to break down with the wind at their back and suffered their first defeat of the year.

Ref: S. Mulvihill (Kerry)

Louth v Derry

After a heavy first round defeat at home to Antrim. Derry conceded the away trip to Louth giving Louth their first win but they surely would have preferred a game having lost day 1 to Limerick.

Week 1 Round Up

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 1

Cork 1-10 Mayo 1-8

Venue: Mallow

In a battle of the hot shots Cora Staunton defeated Valerie Mulcahy 1-8 to 1-5 but it was the All-Ireland champions that held on to take victory in Mallow. Mayo’s failure in the later stages of the first half probably cost them when they left Cork score 7 unanswered points to take a 0-10 to 0-3 lead at half time. Mayo were always playing catch up in the second half but with Staunton pulling her team back they were within distance by the 50th minute just trailing by 2 but a Valerie Mulcahy goal (Corks only score in the second half) was enough for the home side. Staunton did raise a green flag on full time but it was too little too late

Referee: Jason Mullins (Limerick)

Laois 2-18 Donegal 3-5

Venue: Crettyard

It was a good day for Laois who racked up a ten point win against a Donegal team who were never left perform. Laois were ahead 1-8 to 1-2 at the break but kicked on in the second half and treated the Crettyard crowd to some wonderful point scoring to run out comfortable winners. Kirwan bagged 1-9 while Donegals main scoring forward was Elish Ward with 2-4

Referee: Pat Kehoe (Carlow)

Monaghan v Dublin (OFF)

Venue: Aughnamullen

Gregory McGonigle’s visit back to his old team will have to wait until at least Feb 23rd as Aughnamullen fell foul to the weather on Saturday evening.

Kerry 1-16 Tyrone 1-6

Venue: Fitzgerald Stadium

Kerry collected their first Division 1 points since 2009 when they finished strongly denying a brave Tyrone effort. Kerry led after the first quarter 0-5 to 0-2 but it needed A Shannon Lynch double save to keep Kerry at bay. Tyrone through Gemma Begley adding points kept them in touch as they trailed 0-7 to 0-4 at the break. An early Patrice Dennehy goal in the second half put the Kingdom on their way and when they hit a purple patch, they added 7 unanswered points and it was a case of game over. Gemma Begley ended the day with 1-6 while Louise Ni Mhuirtceartaigh top scored with 0-6 for the home side.

Referee: Michael John O Keeffe (Cork)

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 2

Down 1-12 Meath 2-8

Venue: Abbey Grammar School

Down got off to a great start in Division 2 with victory over Meath. They led at the break 1-6 to 1-2 with Kyla Trainor and Emma Troy getting the goals. Meath got back to level terms mid-way through the second half with a goal from Kate O’Brien but it was Down that finished the stronger to hold out for a point victory. Former All-star Keeper Irene Munelly was called upon to save a Down penalty in a game in which both sides will take plenty out of.

Referee: Yvonne Duffy (Cavan)

Kildare v Galway (OFF)

Venue: Carbury

Another game that fell foul to the weather and will be re-fixed for February 23rd.

Cavan 0-12 Westmeath 1-12

Venue: 3G Pitch Kingspan Breffni PK

A crucial seventh minute goal from Johanna Maher proved to be vital in a titanic struggle between two in form teams. It was enough to put Westmeath ahead 1-6 to 0-8 ahead at the break. Despite Cavan getting back level on 2 occasions in the second half they never got ahead and Westmeath with a strong finish ran out 3-point winners

Referee: Eugene O’Hare (Down)

Fermanagh 1-5 Clare 3-19

Venue: Brookborough

This time last season Fermanagh surprised Clare as they defeated them in Round 1 as Clare went on to have a league campaign to forget barely avoiding relegation. No such mistakes this time round as John Burke’s teams had goals from Louise Henchy, Roisin Looney and Emer Hillary to see them to an easy victory.

Referee: Paul Swift (Monaghan)

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 3

Armagh v Longford (Off)

Venue: Killeavey

The much-anticipated clash of two of the titans of Division 3 was cancelled due to the adverse weather. It will be fixed for February 23rd.

Wexford 1-9 Tipperary 2-12


John Leahy got his managerial career of to a win but not before a spirited Wexford with six debutants asked some serious questions of the premier girls. Ahead 1-7 to 1-2 at the break with goals from Lorraine O’Shea (Tipp) and Fiona Bennett (Wex). The second half had Wexford within 3 points of Tipp before losing a player to a red card. Jennifer Grant converted a Tipp penalty as the greater experience told in the end.

Referee: Stephen McNulty (Wicklow)

Waterford 3-14 Offaly 1-5

Venue: Gold Coast

Waterford were fast out of the blocks in this one and led 2-4 to 0-1 with goals from Margaret Revins and Aileen Wall. However, Offaly a goal from Aoife Corbett had Offaly back in sight of Waterford just trailing 2-6 to 1-5 at the break. Margaret Revins got her second goal in the second half and Pat O’Brien’s team ran out comfortable winners

Referee: Johnathan Murphy (Carlow)

Sligo 6-6 Leitrim 9-9

Venue: IT Sligo Grounds

The score line tells it all really. It rained goals all day and in the end, Leitrim had a hatful more. Both managers will worry about their defences in the games ahead. Aine Tighe bagged 4 goals.

Referee: Mel Kenny (Mayo)

Tesco HomeGrown NFL Division 4

Limerick 2-11 Louth 1-5

Venue: Hospital

Limerick introduced a number of last seasons Under 16 team and they over ran Louth in the second half to put 3 points on the board. A Niamh Richardson goal gave them a 1-5 to 0-5 lead at the break and Stephanie Carroll added another in the second half.

Referee: Francis Keane (Roscommon)

Antrim 8-19 Derry 1-6

Venue: Queens University - The Dub

The gap in standards could not be more evident. Antrim were home and hosed long before the break but Derry are coming from a low base at the moment and will have many more hard days ahead of them but they are making a stand and will in time become more competitive. However, Antrim had 4-13 on the board before Derry got their first score. Bigger tests lie ahead for Antrim.

Referee: Brian McCallion (Tyrone)

Roscommon 1-10 Wicklow 1-4

Venue: Strokestown

A strong first half performance lay the foundations of a hard working victory for the Rossies over Division 4 newbies Wicklow. Roscommon were 1-7 to 1-1 ahead at the break. Wicklow proved stubborn in the second half as Roscommon made it over the line.

Referee: Kevin Corcoran (Mayo)

Week 2 will see a full round of games taking place on February 9th 2013

Why not give us a follow on Twitter at @mlgfa and @barrydonal.


Yoplait Announced as HEC Sponsors